Olivia “Flea” Mesa
- College and Hometown? Occupation?
I grew up in El Paso, but have moved around the country because I often get bored. Houston is the current record holder, as I’ve lived here for 5 years. I graduated from The Colorado College and the University of Arizona, and am now an oil/gas Corporate Litigation Paralegal with Transocean.
- How did you find out about AllSport?
AllSport is about two minutes from my office.
- Favorite thing about CrossFit?
The motivation and support during at the right box is absolutely amazing. When I hit that wall and want to quit, I look over and see everyone else suffering just as much, if not more than me. As a result, I’ve learned to push through the any discomfort not only during a WOD, but throughout my normal, daily life.
- Favorite WOD/Least Favorite WOD or Movement?
Favorite WOD: no real favorite, but I love burpees (yes, I’m that weird one)
Least Favorite WOD: Karen or anything with running
- WOD Nemesis, who do you battle or measure yourself against consistently?
Hmm, I would say I measure against myself most times.
- Married how long, kids?, Dating or Single?
- Cats or Dogs?
Definitely a dog person, but too busy right now to make a full-time commitment
- How long have you been at AllSport? July 2014. Wow, almost a year, although I’ve been doing CrossFit for about 3 years.
- What gains have been most impressive to you, weight loss, strength gain etc?
CrossFit has made me become aware of my serious lack of mobility which wasn’t apparent until I tried to do a simple air squat. My overhead squats were a mess. Years of sitting at a desk completely ruined my posterior chain, but with the help of the awesome coaches at AllSport, it’s coming back. I’ve become stronger and more fit than I’ve ever been in my life.
- If you were stranded on a desert island and could take only one piece of equipment, what would it be?
Actually, a wall ball. I can run with it, do med ball cleans, use it as a pillow, and if I get really good at wall balls, I can even use it to knock coconuts down or kill some something for my protein.
- Strict Zone/Paleo or Mexican and Margaritas Kind of Paleo?
Strict Autoimmune Paleo (slightly more restrictive than paleo)
- How long did it take to get your first Pull-up or Muscle Up?
I almost have a complete strict pull-up. It’s taken me a while because I’ve had some shoulder mobility issues. (Thanks Dr. Coach Bobby!!)
- Class time you regularly attend? Why?
I normally attend the 6:00 p.m. class. I live in Pearland, and I’d much rather workout than sit in my car for an hour. Occasionally, I’ll catch a noon class.
- What movement(s) are you best at? Why?
Burpees! Having short legs and a long torso mean I can go all day.
- What movement(s) are you worst at? What are you doing to get better at them?
Wall balls and running. Coach Alexis has helped me with wall balls. They still suck, but at least my form looks a little better. I’ve started running using the Pose Method to help with some compartment syndrome issues, and trying to run longer and longer distances on my rest days.
- Beach and Sand or Snow and Skis?
Beach and Sand!! This girl doesn’t do cold.
- Three times a week or Unlimited?
- CrossFit has helped me be a better _____________? You fill in the blank (ex. Dad, Softball Player, Husband, Nurse etc…)
Just a healthier person overall I first started working out because I was over-weight, and my cholesterol and triglyceride numbers started climbing. Determined not to take any medications, I started decided to try this thing called CrossFit, and instantly fell in love with it. I’m definitely drunk on the kool-aid.
- If I could write the WOD on the board? What would it be? (You write the Strength and WOD)
Back Squat/Front Squat
Build to a heavy 5 rep max
50 Double Unders
40 Double Unders
30 Double Unders
20 Double Unders
10 Double Unders