1. Name? Nathalie Huk
2. College and Hometown and Profession? Athabasca University (Canada) / Calgary, AB, and yes, being a Canadian I slip up and say “about, for sure and sorry” with a Canadian accent! It’s ok if you make fun of me and tell me I sound funny, I think y’all sound funny too / HR Manager in the Oil and Gas industry
3. How did you find out about AllSport? Yelp! You have amazing reviews because you guys are just that AWESOME and you’re a 3 minute drive from my house! #winning
4. Favorite thing about CrossFit? There are many things I love about CrossFit. I’m a very competitive person (mainly with myself) I enjoy challenging and pushing myself every day, the variety of the WOD’s, the amazing people I have met who have quickly become my friends and …. shirtless men! Come on ladies, I know you were thinking it!!
5. Favorite WOD/Least Favorite WOD or Movement? 12 Days of Christmas / least favorite involves anything with a lot of pull-ups because this is still one of my weaker areas
6. WOD Nemesis, who do you battle or measure yourself against consistently? Lauren! So far I can out bench her but she’s got me beat on running and a few other things!! Don’t worry, I’ll catch up to her one day and maybe even talk her into doing a competition with me next year. If Lauren was on vacation my second WOD nemesis would be Jerry. We are apparently the same age (for the record I think I look younger than he does) and he is a beast. I can’t have him showing me up or stealing my fan space for that matter. I’m Canadian and adjusting to the humidity, cut me some slack!
7. Married how long, kids?, Dating or Single? SINGLE and ready to meet someone who is just as rad as me! Don’t worry, if you’re cooler than me, that’s ok too.
8. Cats or Dogs? I have a rescue cat named Pickle who made the brave move down to Houston from Calgary. I’m pretty sure the entire plane hated me for flying with a cat but there was no way I was leaving her behind! I am not judging, but in all honesty she could probably do some CrossFit and perhaps go strict Paleo but I love her just the same.
9. How long have you been at AllSport? Since July 2014 and have loved every minute of it. I used to do CrossFit up in Calgary but admit that the CrossFit community is much larger and dare I say better in the US.
10. What gains have been most impressive to you, weight loss, strength gain etc? Ironically I was thinking of gains the other day when I put on a dress shirt for work and it was much tighter in the arms and back, hello new wardrobe! Overall, I would have to say that my strength levels continue to increase as I am hitting new PR’s all the time and weight loss that has come naturally with eating clean and training like a beast!
If I am to pick just one thing that has been most impressive I would say it would be my back squat. I was in a car accident 4 years ago where I was t-boned by someone who ran a red light, he hit me at 40 MPH and crumpled my L4/L5. I was told I didn’t need surgery and that it would flatten out over time which has been the case. For a long time I was gun shy about putting on too much weight but since I have been going to AllSport my squat weight has increased and I hit a new PR this week which is double the weight I was doing 6 months ago!
11. If you were stranded on a desert island and could take only one piece of equipment, what would it be? Kettlebell
12. Strict Zone/Paleo or Mexican and Margaritas Kind of Paleo? 90% Paleo and 10% thin crust pizza, wine and margaritas! Ok, so there’s more booze than food in this answer but I am Polish and you should expect nothing less.
13. How long did it take to get your first Pull-up or Muscle Up? To date, I can only do one strict pull-up without a band. It’s a work in progress.
14. Class time you regularly attend? Why? 5:15 am. I am way stronger in the morning and there’s something amazing about being up and having a workout done before the rest of the world wakes up. This time also fits well with my work schedule because there are times where I have to stay late and I would hate to miss a WOD because of work.
15. What movement(s) are you best at? Why? Back squat because years of skiing / dancing have given me powerful quads and bench press just because!
16. What movement(s) are you worst at? What are you doing to get better at them? Pull-ups. I’m still using bands but slowly working my way to being bandless as my strength increases. On Sundays I usually do cardio at the gym in my building and practice pull-ups.
17. Beach and Sand or Snow and Skis? Beach, Sand and Margaritas! I moved to Houston to escape the winters.
18. Three times a week or Unlimited? Unlimited. Go BIG or go home.
19. CrossFit has helped me be a better underwear supermodel. Kidding, it has helped me improve my overall athleticism so that I can push myself harder in whatever I am doing whether it be surfing, running a 10K, swimming, golfing, biking etc. Out of all those activities surfing is my all-time favorite thing to do in Costa Rica.
20. If I could write the WOD on the board? What would it be?
5×3 Back squat
15 min AMRAP
10 wall balls
10 jumping pull-ups
10 dead lifts
1 lap around the building throwing a medicine ball back and forth with a partner the whole way