2. Occupation, College and Hometown?
Capital Projects Engineer, The University of Texas (suck it Susie and Nick M.), and I
was born in Houston but grew up in West Texas and California before moving
3. How did you find out about AllSport?
I was at Crossfit Caveman in Sugarland for a year after graduating college and moving to Houston and then decided to move into town and the box owners at Caveman recommended AllSport CrossFit. Ray is good friends with Hernan and Hernan had subbed as a coach over there before. Lucky for me, it turned out to be just a mile from my apartment!
4. Favorite thing about CrossFit?
I think this is becoming a standard response, but I love that it’s never the same day in and day out. It was hard for me to stay interested in working out at 24 hour fitness doing the same routine each week. Also the social atmosphere is really unique. It’s so easy to come into a CrossFit gym and meet new people and feel at home.
5. Favorite WOD/Least Favorite WOD or Movement?
Favorite WOD: The 12 days of Christmas WOD was fun or one I really liked a few weeks ago: 5-4-3-2-1 of 165# snatch and bar muscle ups.
Least Favorite WOD: Kelly was pretty terrible too much running and jumping
Favorite Movement: Squat Cleans or Muscle ups. Both are movements that involve a lot of coordination and muscle groups working together which I like.
Least Favorite Movement: Thrusters and Burpees are always a pain.
6. WOD Nemesis, who do you battle or measure yourself against consistently?
It kind of depends on the nature of the WOD, like whether it’s heavy or bodyweight or a mixture of the two. For the most part, I try to see how I compare with Joe M. just in WODs though, not in strength, because I’m way stronger than him…
7. Married how long, kids?, Dating or Single?
I have a girlfriend and she’s awesome.
8. Cats or Dogs?
Dogs! Cat videos on the internet are funny but I’m allergic in real life.
9. How long have you been at AllSport?
Coming up on a year in the middle of June
10. What gains have been most impressive to you, weight loss, strength gain etc?
My Oly stuff is much better: my snatch has gone up at least 20# and Clean and jerk by about 40#. I’ve also put on some more muscle but stayed same weight so that’s a plus!
11. If you were stranded on a desert island and could take only one piece of equipment, what would it be?
Is this a serious question? Obviously a Shake Weight.
12. Strict Zone/Paleo or Mexican and Margaritas Kind of Paleo?
I’m pretty strict Paleo through the week, but on the weekends anything’s fair game.
13. How long did it take to get your first Pull-up or Muscle Up?
I came with pull ups but figuring out kipping pull ups was a huge help. It took me about 6 weeks after joining a box to get my first muscle up, I was missing a lot of technique.
14. Class time you regularly attend? Why?
I go to the 7 pm pretty religiously. I don’t get home until a little before 6:30 so 7’s all I can really make. I’ve made a lot of friends in that class.
15. What movement(s) are you best with? Why?
I’d say overhead squats since I could randomly do them well right when I learned them, but over all I’m not really much better at one movement compared to another. I try to be above average at most of movements, “jack of all trades master of none” kind of thing.
16. What movement(s) are you worst with? What are you doing to get better at them?
Hand stand pushups. I do them when they come up on WODs but I need to practice more I just don’t have much time before the WOD due to my work schedule or after because the Coaches have lives outside of CrossFit they need to get back to.
17. Beach and Sand or Snow and Skis?
Well I’m a “ginger”, therefore I’m terrified of the sun. I like snowboarding or skiing because I don’t have to worry about putting on much sunscreen.
18. Three times a week or Unlimited?
Unlimited! It’s easy to get your money’s worth.
19. CrossFit has helped me be a better _____________? You fill in the blank (ex. Dad, Softball Player, Husband, Nurse etc…)
Active person? When I’m doing day to day stuff, if it’s the least bit challenging I can just think about some ridiculous WODs we’ve done and suddenly whatever I’m doing doesn’t seem so bad haha.
20. If I could write the WOD on the board? What would it be? (You write the Strength and WOD)
Warm up: Row 750 meters followed by 2 rounds of 15 push-ups, 15 sit ups, and 15 squats
Strength: 5-4-3-2-1 (increasing weights) of Clean and Jerks. If you get your 1 rep, keep adding weight and doing 1 rep until you miss.
4 Rounds for time (scale as needed)
5 Bar Muscle Ups
7 Shoulder to Overhead 155#
9 KB swings 70#
12 sit ups
15 Double Unders
Cool Down: Stretch, then walk to your car